I am a design researcher and strategist with a passion for inclusive design. I follow the principle that inclusive design needs inclusive research, and I am adept at uncovering people’s shared motivations and obstacles. I love to solve problems in complex systems, especially in the moments of friction when people interact with each other or with technology to achieve their goals. I value empathy in research, and I present clients with relatable stories and actionable insights so that users can have a more effortless and delightful experience. I’m always looking for opportunities to work with people who share the value of inclusivity in order to provide ethnographic insights and strategic design recommendations.
I consult for organizations with a variety of design needs. I draw on diverse research methods to generate actionable insights tailored to clients’ needs. My clients include:
- A grassroots political organization: I conducted in-depth interviews and advised senior leadership on strategies to expand their donor base
- A technology startup: I conducted an accessibility audit of the company’s mobile app and advised leadership on how to improve compliance and usability
I led a research project into the transportation needs and pain points of people who are blind or visually impaired.
- Managed complex research logistics, including recruiting diverse research participants and presenting findings to stakeholders across the organization
- Interviewed 15 blind users and observed their transportation practices and use of the Uber app
- Collaborated with colleagues from across company silos to develop actionable solutions to user problems that fit with business priorities
- My research led to hundreds of bug fixes in the Uber app, the implementation of a new accessibility testing protocol, and the formation of an accessibility working group to evaluate and implement accessibility solutions
I worked in a variety of industries to assess clients’ goals and existing web performance, and then develop content to maximize customer engagement and search engine ranking. Clients included:
- A criminal defense law firm: I created content to explain the legal implications of various charges in plain language, while also strategically deploying SEO techniques which improved web traffic by 15%
- A transnational translation company: I developed content that represented the broad vision of the company’s leadership and focused on themes that fit the company’s diverse practice areas
My duties were in three areas: strategic curriculum planning, course design and delivery, and research. Responsibilities included:
- Collaborating with colleagues in the College Writing Program to develop and implement techniques and metrics for evaluating student writing
- Developing courses for the College Writing Program that focused on empathy, understanding audiences, and writing persuasively for resistant readers
- Conducting ethnographic research with record producers and engineers to learn about how they interact with technology and how they respond to industry economics. I presented research at several international conferences.
- Led small seminars where students critiqued each other’s writing and revised their own compositions
- Provided regular detailed feedback to help students master rhetorical techniques
- Researched and created content for online publication
- Wrote program notes for ensemble performances
- Assisted with digital media storage
Dissertation: “Creativity in the Mix: Collaboration and Contingency in Britain’s Classical Music Recording Studios”
Music Major with Certificate in Music Performance (Trombone)
forthcoming July 2020 from Springer